Re: Bigger type length than Maximum

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 13:32:28 GMT

A copy of this was sent to Joe Hughes <joseph.e.hughes_at_gsc.gte.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Wed, 24 Mar 1999 08:05:16 -0500, you wrote:

>Yes,
>
>I am doing a select with where and order by conditions on a table with large
>(1020) varchars.

Are you getting an ORA-1467?

Error: ORA 1467
Text: sort key too long

Explanation:

    Any SORT (eg from ORDER BY , GROUP BY) must use a key that fits into     a single oracle block. For the operation being performed the sort     key was too long.

    From 7.3 onwards SORTs allow long sort keys but there are still     restrictions for GROUP BY operations.

>Joe
>
>Christopher M. Day wrote:
>
>> Joe,
>>
>> Do you have a context in which this error happened ? This might give the
>> group a clue.
>>
>> Chris
>>
>> Joe Hughes wrote:
>> >
>> > What does the error
>> >
>> > Bigger type length than Maximum
>> >
>> > mean?

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Wed Mar 24 1999 - 07:32:28 CST