Is OAS obsolete now that we have 8i?

From: David Smith <drsmithjunk_at_nycap.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 01:07:31 GMT

Is it my imagination, or is OAS in general -- and OAS use of the JWeb cartridge in particular -- obsolete now that we have 8i?

I've skimmed the various documents about 8i on Oracle's web site, looking for references to OAS. The only reference I found was a mention at the end of a technical FAQ document, saying that OAS 4.0.7 doesn't work with Oracle 8.1.4. Is OAS dead?

Then I found the Oracle 8i Technical Data Sheet, which mentions that 8i includes "Oracle WebDB." Is WebDB a replacement for OAS?

(Interestingly, that same document claims that 8i "integrates closely with Oracle Application Server," apparently contradicting the technical FAQ document...)

I've been learning OAS, planning on using the JWeb cartridge. But now I'm getting the impression that I shouldn't plan on using JWeb cartridge if I want my server-side Java app to take advantage of 8i's built-in Java VM. Maybe I should use WebDB instead of OAS?

p.s. If replying by direct email, please remove "junk" from my email address, thanks. Received on Sun Mar 21 1999 - 19:07:31 CST