Re: Oracle Server is 100% busy, what should I do?

From: St Erroneous <Xishamael_at_erroneous.demon.co.ukX>
Date: 13 Mar 1999 16:42:02 -0000

Howell Lee <hlee_at_email.umassp.edu> seems to write:
>Peizhong Wu wrote:
>> Hi, I am running Oracle 8.0.5 in a Sun Ultra Sparc I and Oracle
>> application server 4.0.7 in another Ultra Sparc I. The stored procedure
>> will generate dynamic html files for the web server.
>> During peak time, ( 30hits/sec?), the server is extramly slow.

>Are you running the Oracle8 as Multi-Threaded (MTS option)? This would
>save a lot of memory and MTS is a good fit for the quick in-and-out
>nature of web invocations (you'd avoid repeated useless setup and
>takedown of DB processes). Conversely you might need to increase SGA
>under MTS, but still save overall.

OWAS is (supposed) to use persistent database connections - ie, the connection is not dropped and is reused by successive distinct calls to the plsql procedures by the cartridges.

MTS wouldn't gain you anything if you have OWAS set up correctly to do this and, as someone else in the thread pointed out, all that shared server -> dispatcher copying of result sets might waste cpu.

-michael
--
St michael (mainly) Erroneous http://www.erroneous.demon.co.uk/ "It's ok to be bitter and twisted,
 Provided you don't mind leaving a nasty taste in your own mouth." Received on Sat Mar 13 1999 - 10:42:02 CST