Re: ARCHIVELOG and large number of inserts.

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 15:20:57 -0000

Can you change your strategy from

    'insert and update'

    'create as select'

If so switch the tablespace to NOLOGGING, and use the NOLOGGING options for creating tables and indexes. This avoids the generation of redo log.

There is also a parallel DML insert option available in 8.0, which allows you to do NOLOGGING inserts, but you may have to go for a more expensive license to do that.

--

Jonathan Lewis