Re: Fragmented tablespace

From: Peter Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 09:42:50 -0800

Neil

Are you **sure** you don't work for Platinum? ;)

There are a number of tools that provide mechanisms for doing what the original poster asked for, some of them from Oracle, some from third party vendors like Platinum, Compuware etc. All of them are basically means of automating a reload. I know of no tool that is capable of doing reloads without making the table unavailable for at least some time. However, you'd really need to look at WHY the reload is necessary. There was a whole thread on this not so long ago, so I'm not going to rehash the arguments there. It may be worthwhile to search back through these messages to see if it's actually necessary to perform the reload in the first place.

HTH. Pete

--

Regards

Pete

Peter Sharman                             Email: psharman_at_us.oracle.com
WISE Course Development Manager           Phone: +1.650.607.0109 (int'l)
Worldwide Internal Services Education            (650)607 0109 (local)
San Francisco

SQL> select standard_disclaimer, witty_remark   2 from company_requirements;

"Controlling application developers is like herding cats." Kevin Loney, ORACLE DBA Handbook
"Oh no it's not! It's much harder than that!" Bruce Pihlamae, long term ORACLE DBA