Re: Database Errors - How to detect

From: <black_orpheus_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 19:48:18 GMT

In article <7c0s6d$or8_at_world1.bellatlantic.net>,   "Douglas Whitacre" <whitacre_at_imake.com> wrote:
> How can I detect if something has happened to my database? Is there anyway
> for me to be notified if the database goes down or has a serious problem?
> Thanks in advance from someone trying to quickly learn the ropes. If you
> can reply to this email I would greatly appreciate it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Doug

There are two approaches to this solution. They depend on your operating system.

  1. Oracle supplies a tool called Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM) with the later releases of the database. Part of OEM is the Intelligent Agent. This agent sits on the database server and reports events and problems back to the controlling console (a pc). The console can then (depending on the event) notify the DBA through email or paging. The problem is that you have to have a version of Oracle installed on your database server that has the intelligent agent. I think all versions after 7.1 have it, but it's not the easiest thing to configure on Unix servers. If your server is NT it should be a snap. I've done it on both Unix and NT and when it works it's pretty good. The biggest problem is that it only sends messages to one person.
  2. If your database server is Unix then you can write simple shell scripts to monitor the database processes at regular intervals and send an email or page when they go down. You could, for example, have a program that checks for the background processes every 10 minutes (ps -ef|grep smon) to determine if the database is up. If you have NT you may be able to write a script to see if the Oracle service is running by OEM with intelligent agent is the way to go. Besides, it's free with your distribution.

Hope this helps.

-b