Re: LGWR: the busyest process?

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 02:40:43 GMT

A copy of this was sent to larionov_at_yahoo.com (if that email address didn't require changing) On Fri, 05 Mar 1999 20:37:24 GMT, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am running Oracle 8.03 database on Sun SPARC Solaris 2.6
>and today I looked at the output of the "top"command
>and found out that the lgwr process is the most busiest.
>On the relatively small load it takes 12% of CPU, which
>is more than 5 times more than other processes.
>On the busy load it sometimes takes up to 40% of CPU.
>
>What could be the reason for this?

Are you are doing lots of transactions. LGWR is the process that takes the contents of the redo log buffer from memory and puts it to disk basically. if you have lots of transactions, LGWR will have lots of time.

On my system, LGWR and DBWR are the busiest:

  7:18 ora_ckpt_oracle8
 41:41 ora_dbwr_oracle8
 48:31 ora_lgwr_oracle8
  0:00 ora_pmon_oracle8
  1:39 ora_arch_oracle8
  0:47 ora_smon_oracle8
  0:00 ora_reco_oracle8

this is normal.

>Thank you!
>
>Michael Larionov.

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Fri Mar 05 1999 - 20:40:43 CST