Rollback Segnments: Public or Private?

From: Bill Fee <bill_fee_at_compuware.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 10:07:39 -0700

Hello,

I have a question on whether to create rollback segments as PUBLIC or PRIVATE? I read that you only create ‘PUBLIC’ rollback segments in a parallel server configuration. ( I am not using a parallel server cobfiguration.)

When I restart the instance only the PUBLIC rollback segments that were on line come up in a online status.

I also read that you can place PRIVATE rollback segments in the INIT<SID>.ORA that will come on online with instance startup. ROLLBACK_SEGMENTS = (segment_name, segment_name,.....)

My question is it common practice to:
1) Make your rollback segments PUBLIC
OR
2) Make your rollback segments PRIVATE and place them in the INIT<SID>.ORA file
OR
3) Make your rollback segments PRIVATE and bring them online as you need them after instance startup

At the moment I am making all my rollback segments as PUBLIC.

Thanks in advance,

A newbie,

Bill Fee Received on Wed Mar 03 1999 - 11:07:39 CST