HELP: starting oracle 8i as root user

From: Patrick Gibson <patrick_at_firstweb.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 16:10:53 -0800

I've installed Oracle 8i on a Linux system. As the oracle user, I can startup the server; however, when I try startup the server as the root user, I get a "SVRMGR> ORA-01031: insufficient privileges" error message. Both the root user and the oracle user are in the group 'dba'.

I did an experiment where I added the user 'patrick' to the group 'dba'. As 'patrick', I was able to startup and shutdown the server without any problems.

The reason I need 'root' to be able startup and shutdown the server is because I want Oracle started and stopped automatically when (and if) the system goes up and down.

Can anyone provide me with some advice/pointers for getting this to work? I am find Oracle Corporation's documentation to be very inadequate.

Thanks,

Patrick

PS: Please reply via email as well as to this group.

--[ iMac therefore I am ]------------------+
 patrick gibson ( patrick @ firstweb.com )  http://www.firstweb.com
 tel: 604.646.0467 / fax: 604.646.0468