Re: What a kludge!

From: DeVerne Coleman <dsleuth_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 28 Feb 1999 01:59:42 GMT

Jonathan Tew wrote in message <36D76033.7477591C_at_bpsinfo.com>...
>Why in the world is it so difficult to return a result set from a stored
>procedure? Having to create a package with a type definition for the
>ref cursor, etc. etc. then open and return the cursor, type cast the
>classes in JDBC, and then you can finally treat it as a result set.
>Geez! Why in the world does Oracle have to do it this way?
>
>Jonathan Tew

I used to think the same thing. But the more you look at it, the better it seems. Sure it is a little harder to get a result set from a stored procedure than it is with sql server or sybase. On the other hand, you can return multiple result sets from an oracle stored procedure. This method also allows you to treat all your stored procedures the same. All oracle stored procedure will return any data from the parameters passed in to it. Sql server and sybase, the returned data could come from the parameters or from a separate result set. Programming for the oracle way is more straight forward. These are just my thoughts. Maybe others will differ.

DeVerne Coleman Received on Sat Feb 27 1999 - 19:59:42 CST