Re: Same Column names in different tables?

From: Gary Gapinski <glg_at_apk.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 06:03:18 -0500

Consider

table EMPLOYEE

        column LOCATION

table PART

        column LOCATION

table VEHICLE

        column LOCATION

table POSTAL_CODE

        column LOCATION

Regardless of the respective domains of LOCATION in each of these tables (e.g., EMPLOYEEs are found in arbitrary company LOCATIONs, PARTs are found in arbitrary warehouse LOCATIONs, VEHICLEs are located at latitude and longitude, POSTAL_CODEs are located at their centroids, etc.), I see no reason to use different names for each.

What is this person's rationale?

<TABLENAME>_<COLUMNNAME> is bad form.

I believe it is good form to use the same name when the columns are of the same domain, regardless of whether an explicit relationship exists.

Regards,

Gary Received on Tue Feb 23 1999 - 05:03:18 CST