Re: Anyway way to print while executing procedure ?

From: James Petts <jpetts_at_celltech.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 16:56:58 GMT

On 22 Feb 1999 16:25:31 GMT, "Afdeling ISA" <isa_at_europeesche.nl> wrote:

>Hi
>
>The DBMS_OUTPUT routines dont show results until the job has completed. To
>follow a job while its running you have to use other tricks. In our company
>we use a pipe (routines in package dbms_pipe) to sent data to a permanetly
>running server-process wich handles the messages (writing into a unix-log
>fle and inserting message rows in a message table). Every running batch job
>sends their messages (you can also use it as a "debugger"!) to that
>process.

Another way to get DBMS_OUTPUT output before your routine finishes is to encapsulate the calls in a package of your own. This way, when the calls to your packaged routines exit, you will see the DBMS_OUTPUT output. I'm a great fan of packages, ever since reading Feuerstein's books, and find them to be an immense help in day-to-day PL/SQL work.

James Petts Received on Mon Feb 22 1999 - 10:56:58 CST