Export/Import and NLS

From: Pei L. Ku <pku_at_gte.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 10:24:00 -0800

Hello,

I'm exporting data from a Oracle 7.2.3 database. This database was created with US7ASCII char set. Some tables in this database, however, contains Western European characters (e.g., ascii value 128 to 255). On a different machine I've created a 8.0.4 database using WE8ISO5589P1 (or something like that). When I import the 7.2.3 export into the 8.0.4 database, I noticed that all ascii in the 128 to 255 range got converted to ascii b/w 0 and 127.

I did look up Oracle manuals and in several places it mentioned that if I set NLS_LANG to the char set of export file then I'll be ok. So I set NLS_LANG to _.US7ASCII before start the import. Didn't work. I then tried several other permutations of NLS_LANG values on both the import and export side and still I had no luck.

What gives? btw, I've verified that the export does contain ascii 128 to 255 (by importing the data back into the 7.2.3, US7ASCII database), so the unwanted conversion is occurring on the import side.

thanks

Pei Received on Sun Feb 21 1999 - 12:24:00 CST