Corruption - how big a deal is it?

From: <ajh_at_rtk.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 22:37:51 GMT

We've been making light use of Oracle at our site for about three years without any problems, but we're thinking about finally putting it to the test and we've started to be concerned about corruptions.

We're thinking about building a little warehouse to store our transaction information. We'd have one large table which would grow by about 15M transactions/week, would probably start out with around a billion records, and would have probably two or three indices on it.

Data will be updated in a batch once per week, and peak usage will probably be three or four queries running on it concurrently.

Should we be taking any precautions to avoid corrupted tables or indices? Is it unavoidable, or are we being excessively paranoid even thinking about it?