ProC Apps Hang Linux, Crash Server

From: <matthew_at_mattshouse.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 17:00:54 GMT

I've written a grand total of 3 ProC applications. They all have one thing in common: If I use the wrong connect string, or if the database is unavailable, they hang the system. Apparently they spawn so many processes that linux crashes. From the command prompt I get :

bash: fork: resource temporarily unavailable

Which means that there are already 512 processes running and Linux cannot spawn anymore. What am I doing wrong here? I use 'EXEC SQL WHENEVER SQLERROR DO' but it never reaches the sub that I pass to it.

If Oracle stays available, and I get the connect string correct, then the program behaves beautifully. Any ideas?

Oh, I use Redhat Linux v5.2. 64 M RAM PII 350 on the development machine that crashes.

Matthew