Design Question: set of DBs

From: adam schwartz <adam_at_e-and-c.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 12:57:30 +0200

Hi,

At present, we maintain databases for two customers. They have exactly the same table structure and 90% of the rows are identical. In other words 90% of the data should be common and 10% is customized per customer.

We need to figure out a way to exploit their commonality.

I'd love to be able to make a bug fix in only one place instead of two.

The problem is becoming more acute now as we are poised to sell to 300 customers in the very near future.

It seems like a hierarchical approach is required but I'm not sure how to implement a hierarchical set of databases and easily query and write to them.

This seems like it should be a common problem but I can't seem to find anything relating to this topic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
adam Received on Thu Feb 04 1999 - 04:57:30 CST