Re: Dropping Tables - Slow Performance

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 17:51:20 -0000

Well,

My personal opinion is that TRUNCATE + DROP should be no faster than a simple DROP, however, just for the sake of argument ...

A drop command results in all the dirty blocks for all the relevant segments being flushed from the buffer to disk (yes, I know it's daft; the same thing happens when a rollback segment is shrunk, and there is a (not ridiculous) argument why it is done), so there is a DBWR write overhead before a drop takes place.

What if a TRUNCATE as it drops the high water mark somehow tags the blocks in the db_block_buffer as empty so that they do not have to be written, but can be discard like temporary blocks ?

Examination and proof (or otherwise) of concept is left as an exercise.

Jonathan Lewis

Karl R wrote in message
<918063419.11542.0.nnrp-06.c1ede19d_at_news.demon.co.uk>...
>>Hm, is this based on any practical experience? If it is, can you
>>elaborate why would TRUNCATE+DROP be any faster then simple DROP?
>
>I attended an excellent Oracle DBA course last year (with Oracle Training),
>and the advice given was that TRUNCATE+DROP was faster than DROP, since
DROP