Re: Dropping Tables - Slow Performance

From: Karl R <kroyle_at_hotmail.-REMOVE-com>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 17:36:57 -0000

>Hm, is this based on any practical experience? If it is, can you
>elaborate why would TRUNCATE+DROP be any faster then simple DROP?

I attended an excellent Oracle DBA course last year (with Oracle Training), and the advice given was that TRUNCATE+DROP was faster than DROP, since DROP did a large number of DELETEs (DML) first, whereas TRUNCATE (DDL) did the same thing without rollback.

When I came back from the course, I tried this and it appeared to be true. However, I tried to repoduce those findings today, but failed - a straight drop seemed much faster than I expected...certainly too fast to be creating rollback entries - e.g. <1 second to drop a 200,000 row, 5MB table.

I scoured the documentation for something to clarify this, but it was quite ambiguous. Perhaps this has been optimised in later Oracle versions? I'm clutching at staws here though.

If anyone knows... ;-) Received on Wed Feb 03 1999 - 11:36:57 CST