Re: Getting error on connecting to oracle listener

From: <tcraig1_at_umbc.edu>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 05:15:25 GMT

I've been working with Omar to get this straightened, but being a newbie to Oracle myself, haven't had much luck either. The line that I'm not sure why we're getting is when we use the sql command to connect, after entrering the password, we get the message:

ORA-12505: TNS:listener could not resolve SID given in connect descriptor

  I'm not sure whether the listener.ora file doesn't contain the right data to give the SID, or the tnsnames.ora file doesn't give the right information about the connection to the database to match the appropriate SID.

  Also another thought was that the tnsnames.ora file is not in the correct place. We've placed it in the same place as the listener.ora file. This is Oracle 8.0.3, and we've got both in
$ORACLE_HOME/app/oracle/product/8.0.3/network/admin/   Should the tnsnames.ora file be in a separate location? One that sqlplus would look for it in?

  If someone has a working listener service, and wouldn't mind, I'd be interested in seeing the two files, listener.ora and tnsnames.ora. Perhaps there is something simple that we're missing, cause it really shouldn't be this hard to set up. :^}

Thanks for all your help!

   Tim