Re: Dropping Tables - Slow Performance

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 07:47:18 +0100

Hi Jeanne,

One possible factor is the tables have been stored scattered in the database, ie consist of multiple extents. This will force Oracle to execute extent management during the drop table command. Extent management has always been very expensive in terms of resource.
One command to verify this:
select segment_name, bytes, extents
from user_segments ;
(assuming you log in as owner of the tables) If all the tables are in one tablespace, it would be possibly faster to export this user (this doesn't export the create user command, beware), drop the user and recreate it from scratch as this will defragment the tablespace at the same time.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA