Re: sqlplus small doubt

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 15:32:37 -0000

If you are saying that all the end users will connect to the database using the same account, and that account is the owner of the tables used by that application ? If so, then your strategy is not very safe, and you should consider changing it.

e.g.
One account to own the tables - data_owner perhaps

data_owner then grants select, insert, update, delete on all his tables to a role 'end_user' say.

The role end_user also has the 'create session' privilege. The TEST1 account should then be created as:

    create user test1 identified by XXX;     grant end_user to test1;

HOWEVER - I think you are saying you have a set-up similar to the above: i.e. the account the users use does NOT own the application tables. If this is the case then they will not be able to drop the tables owned by another user unless you give them a privilege that allows them to do so.

Hint: It is a common error in almost all Oracle 7 and 8 installation to make use of the obsolete CONNECT, RESOURCE and DBA roles when creating Oracle accounts. You should review the requirements of your site and create roles which are relevant.

Jonathan Lewis