Mirroring Control Files on Netware Servers

From: <mohotta_at_sirius.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 20:12:00 GMT

We have 3 Netware 4.11 servers in an NDS tree, one of which contains ORACLE 7.3. I have been trying to multiplex our control files on one of the other Netware 4.11 servers. It is named WEB-PLANNING, with a server volume called DATA and a sub-directory called ORA_DB.

As advised by the Oracle Corporate Support Problem Repository, I shutdown the database, copied the control file to WEB-PLANNING/DATA:ORA_DB, modified the INITORCL.ORA, and tried to startup the database.

Oh, I also granted the Netware Server where ORACLE resides (named ORACLE-PLANNING) Read, Write, Create, Erase, Modify and Filescan rights to ORA_DB. In the CONTROL_FILES parameter, I've tried:

WEB-PLANNING/DATA:ORA_DB\ctl2.ora
WEB-PLANNING\DATA:ORA_DB\ctl2.ora
WEB-PLANNING_DATA:ORA_DB\ctl2.ora

The first two alternatives gave me an ORA-00205 error because it couldn't find or open the control file. The third alternative triggered the Netware SMP debugger and rebooted the server where ORACLE resides.

What is the correct way of listing the path and file name of this control file?