Re: create two db on the personal oracle

From: Ewan Parker <ewan_at_chimera.u-net.com>
Date: 18 Jan 99 21:39:34 +0500

Another way to do this, without setting the oracle_sid is to set up a listener on the instances. You can then "connect internal/@d073, startup pfile=n:\orant\database\initd073.ora" or "connect internal/@orcl, startup pfile=n:\orant\database\initorcl.ora", depending upon your tnsnames.ora. It is down to personal preference I think.

> I've created instances manually and had them created by other Oracle tools.
> far no problem... OH, one thing... I can go into server manager and connec
> internal. BUT, if I want to start the database with just a 'startup' instea
> 'startup open pfile=...' I have to have the initfile for the database in the
> n:\orant\database directory.......... This APPEARS to hold true even when t
> instance was created with the pfile pointing to some other directory.......

Yep, Windows holds no mapping of instance and pfile. When you issue a connect or startup, it looks for a default password file or pfile based upon a derivation of the oracle_sid.

> OH, and I frequently have between 2 and 4 of the instances up and running
> concurrently.........

I'm not sure if you are supposed to do this, but it is certainly possible!

Regards,
Ewan.

--
<mailto:ewan_at_chimera.u-net.com> Received on Mon Jan 18 1999 - 10:39:34 CST