Re: Which platform NT or Novell?

From: Nuno Guerreiro <nuno-v-guerreiro_at_invalid.telecom.pt>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 15:04:01 GMT

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999 19:07:16 +0100, "Fegyverneki Janos" <inajf_at_interj.hu> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>My company is going to by an oracle8 server, but the platform is not
>defined yet. The possibilities are NT and Novell. The number of users are
>below
>50. I am interested what are the advantages and disadvantages of these
>platforms.
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Fegyverneki Janos
>jani_at_freemail.c3.hu

Traditionally, Netware has been rated as the best OS in File, Print and Directory Services.

When used as an application server, it seems that the experiences are not as good. I read a post by a very experienced Netware CNE which stated that up to version 4.xx, it didn't provide the following:

. native SMP support
. memory protection
. virtual memory

The difficulty in writing an NLM (server-based Netware program) might have contributed to this fact.

This scenario has changed with version 5 of Netware, though. It ships with a 5-user version of Oracle 8 and it integrates well with NDS (although I've not tried it).

So, it might be worth taking a look at it now.

Hope this helps,

Nuno Guerreiro

As I don't normally appreciate unsolicited commercial e-mail (widely known as SPAM), I encoded my e-mail address. If you want to reply by e-mail, please remove the text added to fool spam software

"The art of arts, the glory of expression and the sunshine that lights the light of letters  is simplicity"

                                                        Walt Whitman Received on Mon Jan 18 1999 - 09:04:01 CST