Partitioned Tables, Oracle on Solaris

From: Tom Pall <tpall_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 17 Jan 1999 22:34:12 GMT

We purchased partitioning, but the database will grow slowly. For the next few months no tables will be large enough to justify partitioning.

The database will, however, be 24X7. With this in mind, I am wondering if creating tables I know will grow big enough to warrent partitioning as single partition tables at the beginning. My rationale is that creating a partitioned table from a non-partitioned table (keeping the constrains intact) requires exporting the table, dropping the table, recreating it as partitioned, then importing the data.

I experimented with partitioned tables on a test box (Oracle on NT). The speed with which Oracle split, mergered, moved partitions was encouraging. Moving a partition from one tablespace to another was very fast.

I am encouraged from my experiments. However a few experiments cannot equal a year of maintaining something. If you would share your experiences, good and bad, with maintaning partitioned tables, I would truly appreciate it. Received on Sun Jan 17 1999 - 16:34:12 CST