Re: Partitioned Tables, Oracle on Solaris

From: Peter Lomax <plomax_at_turk.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 18:29:33 +0200

Dear Sir,
I appreciate your prudence to a feature without having benched or studied this in anger.
In doing some version 8050 validation tests, we benched more or less the same thing that you have done.

Our problem was to prepare a version7 database before migration. We wanted to download a table be it v7 or v8 with views. Export does not permit this so I used a tool that does precisely this.

Table partitioning permits that most of the table if partitioned by date can be loaded before the reorg or migration. Thus the last month of data was the only data needed to be transferred in our migration.

We could download in parallel from a v7 view and pipe this thro to the new db and loading it with SQL*Loader direct path unrecoverable.

Thus the dreaded reorg of the 24GB table that used to take 10 hours was solved in a matter of minutes.
I realize that one is not supposed to plug other folks wares or wares of any sort. So it will be brief.
PDQout (Parallel Data Query) from www.oriolecorp.com Best Regards
Peter