Re: Migrate to 8.05!

From: Diane <Diane_at_coalole.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 19:09:35 +0000

In article <369E17F9.76FB5129_at_wbfa.com>, Alan Stephenson <astephen_at_wbfa.com> writes
>Hello,
>
>We migrated to 8.0.5 from 7.1.6.2.0. Actually, I took a database from 7.1.6.2.0
>and upgraded to 7.3.4.0.0. I then backed up the database and performed the
>migration. I did this on Monday of this week and so far everything seems okay.
>
>I was scared at first, but since I was doing the migration on a non-critial
>database I felt a little better. I opted to first perform the migration
>assistant provided by Oracle. I am not sure if the export/import would be any
>different, but I figured I would try this one first.
>
>One concern I did have was ROWID. In the migration book it states if you use
>ROWID you might need to convert. However, so far it appears everything went
>okay. One thing we are still looking at is making sure all the data dictionary
>tables were done.
>
>If you wish to speak more, feel free to call. I would be happy to talk to you.
>If not, I wish you luck.
>
>Regards,
>
>-Alan Stephenson
>

>Yeung Man wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Our company want to migrate the database from 7.3.2.3 to 8.05. I know
>> there are two method to migrate. One is full database export/import, another
>> is using the migration assistant provided by oracle. Is there any other
>> method? What is the adv/disadv of these two method? We don't decide use
>> which method now, please give some comment on these two method. TIA.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Man
>> ynmg_at_chowsangsang.com

I have migrated a couple of databases recently from 7.3.3 to 8.0.4/5 (one was for designer 2000 2.1.1 which is only certified against 8.0.4) In both cases I did a full export, created a new database including tablespaces and rollback segments, Then did a full import. There were a number of 'this object already exists' type errors on the import but it all seems OK and didn't take a long as I expected.

Other DBA's I have worked with have said always do export/import if the first figure on the version changes (ie 6.x.x to 7.x.x etc) --
Diane Received on Fri Jan 15 1999 - 13:09:35 CST