Re: Oracle on NT versus UNIX???

From: Darryl E Balaski <darryl_e_balaski_at_groton.pfizer.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 15:37:33 -0500

Billy Verreynne wrote:

> John Martin Kvalsund wrote in message <77f0tj$4m5$1_at_readme.online.no>...
>
> >I have an appliction (IFS applications, any experience with that??) running
> >on Oracle 7.3.3 on NT server 4.0 SP3. The hardware is a Compaq Proliant
> >2500 containing 2 CPU's (Pentium Pro 200) and 1 GB of RAM. With approx. 30
> >users of the application this server meets the limit. All available memory
> >is consumed by Oracle and the CPU usage hits 100 % in long periods, (end
> of months etc.). I have two choices:
> >
> >1: By a new 4 processor NT box.
> >
> >2: By a suitable Unix box (i.e. Sun Enterprise server 450) and convert the
> >Oracle database.

It really depends, in general I prefer unix servers over NT, especially for mission critical applications -- in terms of multithreading and stability.
I am not too happy with remote administration of databases on NT. I am a bit nerv. that NT 5.0 goes from 16Million lines of code to 50 Million new lines -- 2x the size (bloat-ware) means 34 million potential lines of buggy code.
We've found the long term operation costs are far less with solaris (sun unix).

Question that you must ask yourself

  1. What are the number of users to support and what are my uptime requirements?
  2. What is the predicted growth of the database?
  3. What is my budget for scaliablity?

Answer these three questions for the short and long term.

A sun 450 is really a workgroup class server with good, but limited expandability. You might wish to look at a Enterprise 3000 or 3500 instead.

darryl Received on Thu Jan 14 1999 - 14:37:33 CST