Re: Oracle on NT versus UNIX???

From: Tom McCann <tmccann_at_us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 10:03:46 -0500

One of the key questions you have to ask yourself is what your real demand is. You say that you run at 100% for long periods of time. That means you have some level of latent demand, but it's difficult to figure out how much. You are going to have to come up with some kind of capacity requirement per user before you can really get a handle on this. But, assuming you can do that, and assuming also that a 4-way Intel machine will handle your total workload, then your considerations include the following:

  1. Oracle will probably achieve more available hours per week on Unix than on NT. That's because NT seems to (still) be plagued by memory leaks and other idiosyncracies that mean you should re-boot it every day. This may or may not be a problem for you.
  2. You will likely have more I/O flexibility on a Unix machine than an Intel machine. Once again, this may not really mean much to you, because there's plenty of good I/O available in the Intel space. But, if you anticipate rapid growth in users or dataspace requirements, you might want to consider the additional flexibility.
  3. Unix is harder to use and administer. I like it better myself, but not because it's easy to use.
  4. Unix systems can get much larger than NT systems today, and in the forseeable future. In terms of database servers, there is probably a 3 -> 10 X difference between the largest feasible NT database and the largest feasible Unix database. The key term here is 'feasible', which is somewhat different than vendor claims.

In summary, if you think you're going to get a LOT bigger, look hard at Unix. If not, then you can probably stick with NT.