Re: Remove record padding/whitespace after import

From: <mpir_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 17:06:43 GMT

Make sure your Oracle columns are varchar/varchar2 and that Oracle did not automatically trim them on insert (which it will do for some languages.)

If your Oracle columns are char, then trimming them won't save any space.

In article <369B2FA1.77D933C4_at_dde-nospam.dk>,   Michael Ringbo <mri_at_dde-nospam.dk> wrote:
> Hi
>
> You can use the standardfunctions rtrim and ltrim.
>
> examples:
>
> select rtrim(ltrim(' test ')) from dual ; --> 'test'
>
> update tab_x
> set y_col = rtrim(ltrim(y_col));
>
> Regards
>
> Michael Ringbo
>
> Jurgen Fieouren wrote:
>
> > I've recently used an application to export directly to an Oracle 8 table by
> > means of an append query and ODBC. Unfortunately, I cannot prevent the
> > records from being padded with spaces to their extents. How can I remove
> > this waste? Many thanks for any advice . . .

Joseph R.P. Maloney, CCP,CSP,CDP
MPiR, Inc.
502-451-7404
some witty phrase goes here, I think.