Re: Connection to NT Oracle Server v7.3.2.2.1 takes too long

From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw_nospam_at_centrexcc.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 17:41:39 GMT

In article <01be33de$85808020$07c809c0_at_pim>, "Stéphane Ramet" <sramet_at_nmg.fr> wrote:
>We have multiple Oracle Servers v7.3.2.2.1 on our Ethernet TCP/IP network,
>both on Windows NT 4.0 Server and WS.
>We access those servers from Windows NT 4.0 WS's.
>In some cases (Client X to Server Y), logging to the Server is immediate,
>whereas in most other cases (Client A to Server B) it takes up to 10
>minutes to get access to the server, using any client tool (sql*plus,
>sqlldr73, etc.).
>It seems that the problem depends on the Cleint's configuration. Any idea
>what parameters we have wrong on our client stations ?
>Thanks in advance for replies.

Make sure you have only the way you resolve the connect string specified in the NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH variable in the sqlnet.ora file of each workstation e.g. if you are using tnsnames .ora, use NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH = (tnsnames) (nothing else)
if you are using an oracle names server, use NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH = (onames)

Be especially carefull with the hostname attribute, unless you use it, of course). If you have NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH = (hostname, tnsnames) for example, sqlnet will try to find a host matching the connect string on the network, which can take quite some time if you have a large network. Received on Tue Jan 12 1999 - 11:41:39 CST