Re: ORA-12203

From: James Bedster <gcf17_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 19:15:31 GMT

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999 13:40:27 GMT, vslabs_at_onwe.co.za wrote:

>gcf17_at_dial.pipex.com (James Bedster) wrote:
>
>> I'd just like to point out that a TNS-12203 error doesn't necessarily
>> mean that there's a problem with the TNSNAMES.ORA file. I'm getting
>> this error when I try to do 16 bit SQLNET connection to a remote
>> database from my Windows 98 desktop. The strange thing is that I have
>> no problem connecting with 32 bit SQLNET.
>
>I beg to differ. 32bit SQL*Net uses different exceutables/libraries and a
>different TNSNAMES.ORA file than 16bit SQL*Net. You can not say that because
>32bit SQL*Net is working, the 16bit SQL*Net should also work.

True.

>Agreed that the TNSNAMES file is not always to blame, but most of the time
>people configure it correctly. Even worse, I think there's a bug or two with
>the text parser that SQL*Net uses to read the file.
>
>> that my config files are Ok becuase they're copies of those from
>> another machine. My theory is that in upgrading to Win98 I have now
>> installed a Winsock that is incompatible with 16 bit SQLNET. If
>> anyone has any suggestions I'd sure like to know.
>
>I doubt that Win'98 does not support Win16 TCP programs. Even NT has backwards
>supports for Win16 network programs. The best is to test one thing at a time,
>make sure it works, and then test the next thing.
>
>Make sure that TCP is working. Both from 32bit and 16bit programs (there still
>should be 16bit TCP software available on the net that you can use to test
>16bit TCP sockets - take a look at www.winsock.com, www.tucows.com,
>www.download.com and so on). Next, make sure that the TNSNAMES.ORA files are
>correct. Test the aliases with TNSPING. Finally test the connection with
>SQL*Plus.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check those sites out.

>Also, copying config files across from one PC that works is not a guarantee
>that it will work on your PC too. Directory names may be different.
>Environmental variables may point to different directories. The PATH may pick
>up the different programs/DLLs. Etc.

In this case all drive mappings, Oracle.INI and oracle homes are identical to other machines.

>If all else fails, dump Win'98 and get a real o/s instead. Like Linux! ;-)

I think I might do that when I get my new PC soon. Triple boot with Win98, NT and Linux. That'll be fun :-)

Regards

Jim Received on Mon Jan 11 1999 - 13:15:31 CST