Re: ORA-12203

From: <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 13:40:27 GMT

gcf17_at_dial.pipex.com (James Bedster) wrote:

> I'd just like to point out that a TNS-12203 error doesn't necessarily
> mean that there's a problem with the TNSNAMES.ORA file. I'm getting
> this error when I try to do 16 bit SQLNET connection to a remote
> database from my Windows 98 desktop. The strange thing is that I have
> no problem connecting with 32 bit SQLNET.

I beg to differ. 32bit SQL*Net uses different exceutables/libraries and a different TNSNAMES.ORA file than 16bit SQL*Net. You can not say that because 32bit SQL*Net is working, the 16bit SQL*Net should also work.

Agreed that the TNSNAMES file is not always to blame, but most of the time people configure it correctly. Even worse, I think there's a bug or two with the text parser that SQL*Net uses to read the file.

> that my config files are Ok becuase they're copies of those from
> another machine. My theory is that in upgrading to Win98 I have now
> installed a Winsock that is incompatible with 16 bit SQLNET. If
> anyone has any suggestions I'd sure like to know.

I doubt that Win'98 does not support Win16 TCP programs. Even NT has backwards supports for Win16 network programs. The best is to test one thing at a time, make sure it works, and then test the next thing.

Make sure that TCP is working. Both from 32bit and 16bit programs (there still should be 16bit TCP software available on the net that you can use to test 16bit TCP sockets - take a look at www.winsock.com, www.tucows.com, www.download.com and so on). Next, make sure that the TNSNAMES.ORA files are correct. Test the aliases with TNSPING. Finally test the connection with SQL*Plus.

Also, copying config files across from one PC that works is not a guarantee that it will work on your PC too. Directory names may be different. Environmental variables may point to different directories. The PATH may pick up the different programs/DLLs. Etc.

If all else fails, dump Win'98 and get a real o/s instead. Like Linux! ;-)

regards,
Billy