Re: DBMS_DDL.ANALYZE_OBJECT and implicit commit

From: Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 22:18:43 GMT

On Sat, 09 Jan 1999 04:18:34 GMT, snapondba_at_hotmail.com wrote:

>Does the DBMS_DDL.ANALYZE_OBJECT procedure cause an implicit commit within a
>PL/SQL block? A procedure we developed populates several staging tables and
>updates some production data. I think our performance will increase if we can
>analyze the staging tables, but want the option to rollback all activity upon
>an exception. If the analyze performs an implicit commit we lose the ability
>to rollback everything.
>
>Any thoughts?

Both DBMS_DDL.ANALYZE_OBJECT and DBMS_UTIL.COMPILE_SCHEMA are performing implicit commit, the same as the SQL command "ANALYZE TABLE ..." does. That is also why you can't use this procedures inside a trigger.

HTH,
Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Certified Oracle7 DBA (OCP)

The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Sat Jan 09 1999 - 16:18:43 CST