Re: startup hangs

From: Augustin Paar <paar_at_nortel.ca>
Date: 6 Jan 1999 18:48:55 GMT

Juergen Gmeiner (jg_at_tiani.com) wrote:
> paar_at_nortel.ca (Augustin Paar) writes:

[ My original stuff deleted ]

Well I managed to get the database back up and running by 2:30PM Montreal time yesterday afternoon. This limited the down time to about 27 hours. It seems that due to some network problems we had in the building, NFS seems to have lost some sanity. The oracle UNIX user's home directory lived on a NetApps and was NFS mounted on the server machine. I moved this directory to a local disk on the server machine and Oracle started without problem.

Thanks for the response, my comments inserted below.

> well ... these might be worth trying:

> a) check your archive log directory. don't delete anything in here
> unless you have a backup. if all the online logs are full
> you need enough space for one log file. don't delete
> anything without backing it up first

Did not need to get to this and I was convinced that the problem was elsewhere. We were not getting any message whatsoever from Oracle. Would what you mention have the same behavior?

> b) have a look at the oracle logfile. default location is
> $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/log/alert_XXX.log.

Did not need to get to this.

> c) did the db go down while some tablespaces where in backup mode?
> you should get a message that 'datafile x needs recovery',
> but try a 'startup mount; select * from v$backup;' anyway.

No.

> d) before doing anything drastic, it might be a good idea
> to backup everything you still have.

I did not need to do this. We checked the CMVC logs and there was only one transaction which caused a write to the database since the previous backup (which we ended up reloading). This transaction was only a file check out which can be redone easily.

> e) check the os-error-logs for disk drive problems. fsck the
> oracle file systems. if you can't 'kill -9' a process,
> it hangs in a device driver (at least on the
> platforms i am familiar with)

I believe that NFS might have been responsible for this.

> f) do a 'startup nomount' ... is the instance started?
> you only mentioned one process, maybe you only get this far.
> try to remember any recent changes in your initSID.ora ...

This was hanging in the same way as startup.

> good luck
> juergen

Once again, thanks for the response and I will keep this information for the next time something happens, what something will happen... ;-)

Augustin Edmond Paár (aep) paar.IHateSpam_at_nortelnetworks.com Nortel Networks, Montréal, Québec, Canada Received on Wed Jan 06 1999 - 12:48:55 CST