Need advice on setting up Oracle8

From: <rrichards_at_benham.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 23:33:36 GMT

We are using Oracle8 server on Solaris 2.6. I have installed it several times in the past but this will be the first OFA compliant installation.

I would greatly appreciate anyone answering any of these for me since I do not have anyone with a clue about this stuff at work.

SERVER QUESTIONS (8.04 - Solaris 2.6)
Should my mount points for OFA installation be on seperate drives? (the book recommends 4)

Are there any other 'multi-drive' concepts I should know about before proceeding with this?

DESIGNER 2000 INSTALLATION questions:
RE: Designer 2000 repositiory. How necessary is it to store the index tables on a seperate drive from the data tables?

When installing the Designer repositiory (1.3.2 and 2.1) in the past I found that even though I did a precheck of the tablespaces for enough space before starting the installation of the repository I frequently had to go back in (via SQLPlus) and add datafiles to certain tablespaces because they were running out of space and I was getting errors. Why does the Designer 2.1 installation book give incorrect estimates? Is this something I am doing wrong?

After creating the designer repository (I follow the steps out the book) it says that you can drop tablespaces if you want. I would love to do this but I do not which tablespaces they are talking about. Are they talking about the installation temp tablespace?

Thanks again
Ryan

Ryan R.

[Remove the <NO SPAM> from my email address to reply] Received on Tue Jan 05 1999 - 17:33:36 CST