Notes on the Installation of Oracle8 on NW5...

From: <sterling_at_nrg-inc.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 23:29:53 GMT

I am an Oracle8--in fact, databases in general--newbie. I've done extensive work programming everything under the sun from graphics to networks, but I hadn't had a need to work with a Database until I recently got hired on with my current company.

My assignment is to document the process of installing Oracle8 on Novell NetWare 5, which is no trivial action, let me tell you. I can install the server, set up the listener on the starter database, install the client, and get them to speak. I can get NDS to sync with the database and setup users and everything else. But I can't do anything beyond the starter database.

What I'd like to be able to do is to delete the starter database, then start completely from scratch and build a new database. I have no experience as a DBA, but this seems harder then it should be.

The process, as I understand it, should be that while the instance is shutdown I can delete all associated files--or move them elsewhere. Then I should be able to run in SVRMGR30 and create the database something like what follows (to start a database named fred):

CONNECT INTERNAL/... STARTUP NOMOUNT PFILE='%ORACLE_HOME%\DATABASE\INITFRED.ORA' CREATE DATABASE Fred;

Now, I know this must be wrong, because it doesn't work. But if any of the Oracle DBA books would simply speak English I wouldn't have this problem--this coming from a guy who considers computer language and theory books light leisure reading. (Some of them don't even directly address the issue of creating a database.)

Anyway, thanks for any help!

Sterling

--

Andrew Sterling Hanenkamp