Re: How Do I set up Personal Oracle Instances?

From: Fuzzy <granta_at_nospam.student.canberra.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 23:23:28 GMT

On Mon, 04 Jan 1999 04:05:22 GMT, dperez_at_juno_nospam.com wrote:

>Sorry to be back so soon......... BUT, while trying to figure out the bequeath
>I went back to the old listener and tnsnames I was using with 8.0.3... Which
>APPEARS to be named pipes.......
>
>I started everybody up... all fine. I started SQLPlus 8.0 and connected to
>each database - the orcl as scott/tiger and then to mine as sys...
>
>from sqlplus 8.0 I can connect to either database fine.
>
>Then I started the sqlplus 3.3 that came with developer 2.1.........
>
>connecting to orcl if I use scott/tiger_at_orcl I get the 12154 error - tns can't
>resolve the name. BUT, if I just connect as scott/tiger it connects......
>connecting to my database (mydb) I can't get anything to connect........
>
>Same for forms 5.0......... the connection fails into mine, and I can't put the
>connection string when I connect to orcl........
>
>How does it know what orcl is? Where is this defined? How? Why doesn't it
>know my tnsnames? What do I have to change? if it works from sqlplus 8.0,
>doesn't that mean its finding the right stuff in listener.ora and tnsnames.ora?
>
>Jeez, I HATE DOING SIMPLE STUFF IN ORACLE! What the HECK is going on here?
>does EVERYBODY have these problems or am I just particularly obtuse?

No, there's a little thing you've overlooked. SQL*Plus 8.0 will be using Net8 (and therefore finding it's tnsnames.ora info under %ORACLE_HOME%\net80\admin), and SQL*Plus 3.3 will be using SQL*Net 2.3 (and therefore finding it's tnsnames.ora info under %ORACLE_HOME%\network\admin).

You need to configure both if you're going to mix tools relying on Net8 and SQL*Net 2.3

Ciao
Fuzzy