ORA-1820

From: Sriram <Sriram_at_ponlw.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 12:28:44 GMT

Hi,
I'm habving quite a wiered problem with the TO_DATE function when used to insert data. It works fine for all 'format specifications' except for two, 'yyyymmdd' and 'yyrrmmdd'

For these two formats, there is a possibility of the to_date function failing with a 'Invalid Date Format error'. This looks very much like a random bug - so wouldn't be caught unless you're dealing with a whoile load of data. Also the problem occurs only upon inserting and not upon extracting. Has anybody come across this problem? Could someone please give me any pointers to whether this is a known bug.

I'm using some locally built utilities to extract subsets of data and insert them. The insertion fails with the above message at a random point, and the utility prints the SQL insert statement that failed. When this statement is copied and pasted on SQLPLUS, it works fine! Failure occurs only when above two formats are used to extract and insert the data.

Thanks in advance,

Chandika Received on Thu Dec 31 1998 - 06:28:44 CST