Re: connecting to database using odbc

From: Fuzzy <granta_at_nospam.student.canberra.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 23:36:40 GMT

On Wed, 30 Dec 1998 20:06:52 GMT, fm_at_klaatu.umd.edu wrote:

>Hi, I am trying to connect to a oracle 8.0.4 from my home machine that is
>connected to campus using TCP/IP. Once I have the connection, I am not sure
>how to configure the odbc side to connect to the oracle server. I have
>downloaded the odbc drivers from technect.oracle.com and have had no success.
>I have "played" around with ODBC32 admin, trying to basically set the server
>name,password, connect string (which I am still not sure what it is), but
>none of this has helped. If any one can give me a few pointers, I will really
>appreciate it. Please note that I am using WinNT 4.0 from home.

Fortunately, what you need to do is very simple

  1. Give the datasource a name (the "Datasource Name" field).
  2. Specify the tnsnames alias for you Oracle database in the "Service Names" field.

That's it. (You can leave everything else at the defaults usually)

Note that the ODBC driver by itself is useless ... you will need the SQL*Net client as well.

Ciao
Fuzzy