Re: cost base optimization

From: Scott Patterson <scott.patterson_at_trilogy.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 11:16:31 -0600

I have run a series of tests on Oracle 7.3.x comparing Cost based to Rule based optimization. With a few very specific instances Rule based performed as good or better than Cost based.

I am hoping to reproduce a complete set of test on 8.0 in the near future. The preliminary tests indicate Cost based will generally perform better than Rule based with 8.0.

Having said that and surely starting a religious war. If you need to use Cost based with 7.3.3 I would suggest increasing your sampling on your analyze. If that does not help, run some traces to see what queries are performing poorly. Then start looking at the cardinality of your indices on those tables. You may need to change how and what you are indexing.

Scott