sql trace questions - help

From: <kal121_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 21:43:29 GMT

Everytime I run SQL Trace on the SAME sql statement I get back different results, for example see below (below paragraph below).

Why is this? How can anyone accurately interpret there results??? What is the point? I am going crazy here. Please respond. How can I tell what is an efficient query vs. an inefficient one? Are there any good books on the subject? Please don't refer me to "Oracle Performance Tuning" by Corrigan and Gurry. I already own this book, it doesn't help - too vague. Or the "DBA Handbook" by Kevin Loney. Aside from paying a consultant $100 an hour, how can I learn these things on my own? I have literally wasted 8 hours today trying to understand this stuff, and am frustrated!

Thank you.
Please respond to my email address.

First Run:

call  count  cpu  elapsed  disk  query	current  rows ------- ------

-------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- Parse 1
0.13 0.15 3 0 3 0 Execute 1 0.00 0.00 0 0 0 0 Fetch 1 0.00 0.02 5 6 0 0 ------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- total 3 0.13 0.17 8 6 3 0

Second Run:

call  count  cpu  elapsed  disk  query	current  rows ------- ------

0.00 0.00 0 0 0 0 Execute 1 0.00 0.00 0 0 0 0 Fetch 5 0.01 0.01 0 168 0 52 ------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- total 7 0.01 0.01 0 168 0 52

Third run:

call  count  cpu  elapsed  disk  query	current  rows ------- ------

0.02 0.02 0 0 0 0 Execute 2 0.00 0.00 0 0 0 0 Fetch 10 0.01