Re: Errors in importing the production dump to the test database

From: Babette Turner-Underwood <babettet_at_you.cant.spam.me>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 21:30:53 GMT

Another approach is to determine the size of each object and then export the objects from LARGEST to SMALLEST instead of the default (often alphabetically).

One time we needed to export and re-import tables. They all fit in the tablespace but were fragmented and there was absolutely NO new diskspace to create new tablespaces to move them to.

If they all fit originally, they should fit once exported, dropped and then re-imported, right? wrong!! because the tables were imported in the order exported, the smaller tables took up the first extents. Then there was no room left for the larger initial extents. (the tablespace was slip into two datafiles).

We tried specifying the tables to be imported in a different order. Made not difference. What we had to do was to create an explicity parameter file listing all of the tables in order of size DESCENDING. That way, the larger files were imported first.

You might be able to use this information IN COMBINATION with the other responses. This is only if you have the same tablespace size AND want to compress extents but can't because the larger tables are at the end.

Babette Turner-Underwood, TMI Communications babettet_at_tmi.ca.NOSPAM (remove appropriate part to e-mail me)