Re: Rollback Sizing

From: Robert Miller <robert_at_rjmiller.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 17:11:33 -0000

I believe that the rollback segs contain allot of block and table = information as well relating to what has changed.

Also there is index info too.

I dont think that your application should be inserting in this way, a = bug perhaps?

Anyway you could use SQL-LOADER?

    John P. Higgins wrote in message <36704A9A.AB33AFFE_at_deere.com>...     The application (purchased) inserts one row at a time with only a = final commit. I cannot fix the application.

    I am told that no one else was on the system (un-verifiable).

    So, even if none of the rollback was released by commit, how did it = get to be 3GB in size?

    Robert Miller wrote:

         I'm not sure what exactly goes in the rollback segs but was the = insert for multiple rows and was there a commit in between them? = Rollbacks will not release space unless you commit. Also I believe other = users with uncommitted transactions will stop your rollbacks from = reusing space. Rob

            John P. Higgins wrote in message = <366F417D.41FF673A_at_deere.com>...My 3GB rollback segment overflowed while = inserting 2GB into a table. I do not understand this. I thought that = inserts placed very minimal undo information into the rollback segment = -- like just the ROWID's (plus some overhead).

            Can anyone shead any light?

            John        Received on Sun Dec 13 1998 - 11:11:33 CST