Re: Rollback Sizing

From: Connor McDonald <mcdonald.connor.cs_at_bhp.com.au>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 17:46:13 +0800

John P. Higgins wrote:

> The application (purchased) inserts one row at a time with only a
> final commit. I cannot fix the application.
>
> I am told that no one else was on the system (un-verifiable).
>
> So, even if none of the rollback was released by commit, how did it
> get to be 3GB in size?
>
> Robert Miller wrote:
>
> I'm not sure what exactly goes in the rollback segs but was
> the insert for multiple rows and was there a commit in
> between them? Rollbacks will not release space unless you
> commit. Also I believe other users with uncommitted
> transactions will stop your rollbacks from reusing
> space. Rob
>
> John P. Higgins wrote in message
> <366F417D.41FF673A_at_deere.com>...My 3GB rollback
> segment overflowed while inserting 2GB into a
> table. I do not understand this. I thought that
> inserts placed very minimal undo information into
> the rollback segment -- like just the ROWID's
> (plus some overhead).
>
> Can anyone shead any light?
>
> John

Given that the rollback seg is needed to reinstantiate the row values in the event of a rollback, I would have thought it would need at least what was in the row in the first place...

The other thing worth consideration is that rollback segs are shared amongst transactions so maybe have a look if anyone else is also sneaking in there and grabbing some space

HTH
--

Connor McDonald
BHP Information Technology