Re: Suitability for real-time data processing?

From: Ian Posner <iposner_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: 1998/12/12

I agree -- generally locking problems during high contention arise as a result of poor design. Of crucial importance in 6.5 is using clustered indexes on major foreign key fields in such a way that highly contentious updates are spread evenly accross the table space. Additionally use stored procs for all data access and have all transactions controlled from within the stored procedures so as to reduce the time locks are held. Also, avoid using cursors in stored procs -- use pure SQL and set-based algorithms:

Where possible, have the SQL Server perform batch processing using pure SQL rather than some "smart" programmer's row-by-row algorithmn which works great on his own computer with 100 records on a local SQL Server with no other users, but fails in the highly contentious production environment.

If this sounds like I'm taking the p*ss out of the average VB/SQL programmer, unfortunately I am, because time and time again, this is a scenario I encounter, with the programmers saying "Let's switch to Oracle..."

--

Ian Posner
MindQuest Solutions Ltd