Storing 8-bit characters in a VARCHAR2

From: Philippe Lepot <plepot_at_eft.be>
Date: 10 Dec 1998 08:23:28 GMT

Hi,

We developed an application under Oracle7. We are storing 8-bit characters (i.e. binary data) in a VARCHAR2 field. The program runs fine under Oracle 7.3 but fails under Oracle8 because the server maps characters above ASCII 128 to equivalent under 128. For A with accent is mapped on to A (ASCII 65). We checked the NLS_CHARACTERSET and NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET of Oracle8. They have the same value as under Oracle7. Does anybody know how to prevent this mapping from happening from a ESQL/C program. Thanks in advance.

Philippe Received on Thu Dec 10 1998 - 02:23:28 CST