Re: Efficiency Question

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 15:53:53 +0100

Hi Mike,

The basic idea of having multiple tablespaces is spreading I/O and avoiding single point of failures. Separation of data and indexes on different disks (and so in different tablespaces) is always a good idea. You should not have multiple files in individual tablespaces, unless you want to stripe your data across several disks. Adding files to enlarge the tablespaces is no longer necessary as datafiles can be resized, starting with Oracle 7.3.3. If you don't stripe having multiple files in one tablespace only adds to overhead.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA