Re: Sybase vs Oracle - which is better?

From: RobertSimmons <abpitg_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1998/12/04

Hello,
  BCP does allow you to specify a first-rwo and last-row to BCP out. So, if needed, it would be possible to break very large table into parts. If I were moving databases from one server to another on the same platform and character set and sort order, I'd problably dump the database to tape and restore it that way. BTW: A database dump does have all the database structures attributes - a BCP is just the data of a single table. Sybase does provide a few utilities to create the structure scripts such as defncopy, ddlgen and defgen.

Someone earlier mentioned that they could take an Oracle export file from a Solaris or AIX system and import it directly into an NT system. Sybase does not have this support. How does Oracle handle the character set high order and low order byte tranlations between platforms? Also, How does Oracle export handle a 2 Gb. file size limitation?

Thanks, Robert