Re: Oracle 8 for Solaris, HPUX and svrmgrm

From: Alan Stephenson <astephen_at_wbfa.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 10:59:48 -0800

Ed Bruce wrote:

> John D Groenveld wrote:
> > They've been hinting this for over a year now.
> >
> > >What is going on ?
> > A shortage on Motif programmers in Redwood Shores?
>
> Well svrmgrm hasn't worked on SGI for some time now. It is delivered
> with a warning not to relink. I guess I have to do two installations
> because I was always required to relink on install yet I can't relink if
> I want to use svrmgrm.
>
> later,
> Ed

I can tell you what I know. I just tried to install Oracle 7.3.4.x on an HP system running on HP-UX 10.20. When I tried to link svrmgrm I get an error. We tried several times by changing the makefile for this with no luck. Bottom line: Oracle suggests to use Server Manager via command line (use svrmgrl).

There was a problem with the links and X Motif files which caused the problem. One solution Oracle gave us was to install the previous version from 7.3.2 and maybe it would work. Otherwise, try and learn to use the command line version since for Oracle 8 this will no longer be available.

I wish you luck,

-Alan Stephenson